Pupils to go back to the classroom across England on Monday
Fuentes broadcast his first stream on Clubhouse on Saturday night. The room, which featured a small number of guests including conservative commentator Jon Miller and this reporter, casually and light-heartedly discussed topics ranging from current cultural divides among conservatives and who should feature in the “big tent” of the conservative movement, immigration and America, and free speech and cancel culture.
However, around three hours after beginning the broadcast, Fuentes was banned from the app mid-conversation. In a post on Twitter, the America First commentator revealed that his account had been suspended by the app for violating their “hateful conduct policy” for conversations. “Clubhouse is just another anti-free speech Big Tech platform,” Fuentes said, speaking exclusively to National File. “Don’t waste your time on it!”
— Nicholas J. Fuentes (@NickJFuentes) March 7, 2021
I lasted three hours on Clubhouse before I got suspended for “hate speech.” Cool app @joinClubhouse
— Nicholas J. Fuentes (@NickJFuentes) March 7, 2021
Andrew Torba, the CEO of free-speech social network Gab, had warned about the potential censorship from Clubhouse earlier this week. “Clubhouse is Silicon Valley owned, funded, and controlled,” Torba said. “If the right thinks they have any future on that platform they are kidding themselves,” noting that the app developers are discussing ways to use AI to moderate conversations. Torba also highlighted that they are funded by a16z, an investment fund that also funds Big Tech companies like Facebook and Instagram. He added that Gab will be releasing their own version of the app later this year.
Clubhouse is funded by @a16z the same people who funded: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and more. They are already discussing ways to record convos and use AI to detect “hate speech” in rooms. Imagine using this app and tying your personal info to it. Not smart! https://t.co/a2sFp5VgvG
— Gab.com (@getongab) March 5, 2021
It is unclear exactly why or how Fuentes was banned. It’s possible that Fuentes was directly reported to the app by somebody listening into the conversation using the native report feature. Another possibility is that the app decided to ban Fuentes based off of reporting by leftist political journalists, who were live-tweeting the conversation. Clubhouse had been pinned by some as the potential next app for the “far-right” to engage with, potentially causing a quick backlash against Fuentes by the app. National File has reached out to Clubhouse for comment and will update this story if there is a response.
Newly-crowned UFC bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling has incredibly been accused of exaggerating the after-effects of the illegal knee strike which caused opponent Petr Yan to be disqualified in their title fight at UFC 259.
Defending champion Yan detonated a brutal illegal knee strike on Sterling in the fourth round of their contest in Las Vegas, as the American still had one knee of his own on the canvas.
Sterling was sent sprawling onto his back and immediately clutched at his face.
Amid a lengthy break he was attended to by a cageside doctor, who asked the fighter if he was seeing straight.
“A little… it’s just a little, I mean, I’m lying down so it’s better,” Sterling replied, before appearing to add: “If I stand up, I feel like I could fall over.”
That prompted the doctor to inform referee Mark Smith that “I think we’re going to be done,” as the official waved off the fight and disqualified Yan in a disastrous end to the first defense of his 135lbs title.
Replays showed the full force of the blow – with large numbers of fans astounded by the recklessness of Yan’s actions.
However, some remarkably suggested that Sterling had milked the situation and gone into acting mode as he snatched the title from his Russian rival.
Aljamain Sterling when he gets back to his hotel room and can stop acting concussed pic.twitter.com/xSNGPEA8jw— 📈⛵️🍋 (@22CVR_reborn) March 7, 2021
Others, though, branded fans 'clowns' if they thought Sterling was overdoing it with his response to the sickening knee strike from Yan.
Petr Yan should lose his entire fight purse for that BS. How can you actually pay him after that? That is the worst, most impactful and obvious intentional foul I think I have ever seen. #UFC259— Mike Swick (@officialswick) March 7, 2021
The overacting theory seems to jar somewhat with Sterling's own response to being crowned the new UFC bantamweight king at Yan's expense.
The American called the conclusion to the fight “bullsh*t” and vowed to run it back with Yan, even tossing the 135lbs title to the canvas after it had been wrapped around his waist.
Yan, meanwhile, apologized to his rival, writing on Twitter that the illegal knee had been unintentional.
I apologize and wish speedy recovery to @funkmasterMMA I didn’t mean to throw an illegal strike, I just made a big mistake and paid for it.— Petr “No Mercy” Yan (@PetrYanUFC) March 7, 2021
Amongst the chaotic scenes at the UFC Apex another man to come under fire was UFC commentator Joe Rogan, who was criticized for proceeding with an interview with Sterling in the aftermath of the dazed ending to the fight.
Joe Rogan interviewing Aljamain Sterling after the illegal knee pic.twitter.com/E5ao1QdeIv— As Shopped As It Gets (@AsShopped) March 7, 2021
Fighter is dead in the octagon— Keith Peterson (@KPetersonUFC) March 7, 2021
Joe Rogan: pic.twitter.com/9xZ4kvh4t8
An upset Sterling told Rogan that he had attempted to continue against Yan despite being "all f*cked up like that," but that he was "in bad shape and it would have been ego taking over."
As the dust settles, Yan is left to contemplate defeat in a fight in which he had been leading on two of the three judges' scorecards, and was seemingly on course for an eighth win on the spin in the UFC octagon.
In the end, the Russian became the first person to relinquish a UFC title through disqualification as 'No Mercy' suffered only his second defeat in 17 professional MMA contests.